home about schedule topics books story contact
Today you will meet somebody
I don't believe in chance.

I really don't.

I don't believe our lives are filled with random occurrences.

I don't believe we are supposed to casually drift by, brush past, rush away from and forget others so easily.

In Colossians chapter 2, I was instantly struck by words I'd read before. But before they were slippery words that moved in and out of my brain so quickly, I missed them. Today they were sticky words. They moved in and moved me.

"I want you to know how much I am struggling for you... My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love... that they may know the mystery of God, namely Christ in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." (Col. 2: 1-3)

Today, you will come across somebody who needs you to struggle for them... feel for them... care for them... love them in some way. Your pause for them should be simple and practical.


Maybe you mention Jesus today. Maybe you don't. Your pause shouldn't be laced with the desire to win their soul. It shouldn't be an awkward fumbling for the perfect salvation message quickly packaged up and spewed out. Just pause.

If you are meant to weave faith into your conversation, they'll start asking questions. Into others lives, sometimes we are called to sew seeds... sometimes water... sometimes bring to harvest.

Please don't misunderstand, I am passionate about leading people to Christ. But I never want to reduce Jesus to a slick sales pitch where I rush to close the deal. That would have never worked on me when I didn't give a flying flip about salvation.

I could see straight through people's hidden motives and misguided assumptions.

Our assignment from God is to be the rare person who pauses... simply pauses and feels and reaches out to touch... help... encourage... serve... give.

Our job is to be aware and be obedient.

God's job is results.

Yesterday I met somebody. A beautiful young girl with a wide smile and eyes that told a million stories with their glassy reflection. A girl that googled "widow" 3 years ago after hearing a uniformed man say, The Secretary of Defense regrets to inform you..."

I met her yesterday.

And I don't believe in chance.

I really don't.

And I don't believe our lives are filled with random occurrences.

I don't believe I am supposed to casually drift by, brush past, rush away from and forget her so easily.

Who might you meet today?

What verse or verses jumped out at you from Colossians 2?


What do you think about all this?

Let's chat in the comments today.
......................................................................................................................................


Side note... Those of you interested in the She Speaks scholarship be sure to write a post on your blog this weekend about why you want to attend, what you feel called to do, or a story of what is drawing you to attend this speakers, writers and leadership training. Then on Monday, you'll be able to link your post to the bottom of my post.

If you don't have a blog, I'll give you instructions on Monday for another scholarship contest opportunity where you can e-mail your entry.