Colossians 3:15, "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts."
Why is this so hard for us moms sometimes?
Last night at the "Life Today" show recording a sweet blog friend was there. After the show she told me she admired my mothering.
Oh sweet sister.
I do love being a mom.
However, like a lot of moms, I often wonder if I'm doing this mom thing right. I really want to get it right. But my impatience, inconsistencies, and lack of organization are definite downfalls. Not to mention the domestic bug hasn't exactly been biting lately.
We eat take out entirely too much.
We always have a messy laundry room with a heap of unmatched socks.
We can't for the life of us keep those papers filed instead of piled.
We don't always talk positively to one another in gentle tones.
But with all I worry I do wrong as a mom, praying is something I know I do right.
Each day I pray for God to be my portion of whatever it is I need that day for my family. Maybe I need wisdom to handle a situation with one of my kids. Or maybe I need patience to override the negative affects of "Princess Must Scream" (PMS). Or maybe I need perspective to know whether to discipline a child or give them grace.
"God, will you be my portion of wisdom in this situation? Will you help me see clearly what I need to see? Oh God, I need you to interrupt my reactions and be my portion in this moment."
Praying has an amazing way of filling in some really big gaps. Praying helps me not feel so alone on this mothering journey. Praying connects me to God's most tender mercy and most gentle convictions.
When I pray...
I see things more clearly.
I realize perspectives otherwise beyond me.
I gain wisdom that can override my frail humanity.
I feel convicted that sometimes I am wrong.
I feel confident that sometimes I am right.
I rewrite the broken places of my legacy.
Yes, prayer, for me is crucial. It's beyond crucial. It's the only thread I can trace from my faulty efforts to becoming the mom I want to be. It's interesting in order for God's peace to rule in my heart as mentioned in Colossians 3:15... I must remember the instruction of Colossians 3:16: "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly."
Asking God to be my portion helps me do just that. (See Psalm 73:26 and Lamentations 3:22-24.)
And the really beautiful thing about praying for God to be our portion is that it can start any time- any age, stage, or phase of parenting- and start working good in them and in us.
One last note- win a free book today! If you'd like more mom encouragement from a real mom with real everyday struggles, leave a comment below how I can pray for you and your kids. I'll enter you in a drawing for a free copy of my book, "Am I Messing Up My Kids?"
You won't get plastic advice in this book. It's real, raw, and gut honest mom to mom encouragement. To leave your prayer request below, click on the word comments and follow the prompts. If you post as anonymous be sure to leave your e-mail address.
Sweet Blessings...
Why is this so hard for us moms sometimes?
Last night at the "Life Today" show recording a sweet blog friend was there. After the show she told me she admired my mothering.
Oh sweet sister.
I do love being a mom.
However, like a lot of moms, I often wonder if I'm doing this mom thing right. I really want to get it right. But my impatience, inconsistencies, and lack of organization are definite downfalls. Not to mention the domestic bug hasn't exactly been biting lately.
We eat take out entirely too much.
We always have a messy laundry room with a heap of unmatched socks.
We can't for the life of us keep those papers filed instead of piled.
We don't always talk positively to one another in gentle tones.
But with all I worry I do wrong as a mom, praying is something I know I do right.
Each day I pray for God to be my portion of whatever it is I need that day for my family. Maybe I need wisdom to handle a situation with one of my kids. Or maybe I need patience to override the negative affects of "Princess Must Scream" (PMS). Or maybe I need perspective to know whether to discipline a child or give them grace.
"God, will you be my portion of wisdom in this situation? Will you help me see clearly what I need to see? Oh God, I need you to interrupt my reactions and be my portion in this moment."
Praying has an amazing way of filling in some really big gaps. Praying helps me not feel so alone on this mothering journey. Praying connects me to God's most tender mercy and most gentle convictions.
When I pray...
I see things more clearly.
I realize perspectives otherwise beyond me.
I gain wisdom that can override my frail humanity.
I feel convicted that sometimes I am wrong.
I feel confident that sometimes I am right.
I rewrite the broken places of my legacy.
Yes, prayer, for me is crucial. It's beyond crucial. It's the only thread I can trace from my faulty efforts to becoming the mom I want to be. It's interesting in order for God's peace to rule in my heart as mentioned in Colossians 3:15... I must remember the instruction of Colossians 3:16: "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly."
Asking God to be my portion helps me do just that. (See Psalm 73:26 and Lamentations 3:22-24.)
And the really beautiful thing about praying for God to be our portion is that it can start any time- any age, stage, or phase of parenting- and start working good in them and in us.
One last note- win a free book today! If you'd like more mom encouragement from a real mom with real everyday struggles, leave a comment below how I can pray for you and your kids. I'll enter you in a drawing for a free copy of my book, "Am I Messing Up My Kids?"
You won't get plastic advice in this book. It's real, raw, and gut honest mom to mom encouragement. To leave your prayer request below, click on the word comments and follow the prompts. If you post as anonymous be sure to leave your e-mail address.
Sweet Blessings...

Home