home about schedule topics books story contact
Interrupt me, please
Sometimes I just need to be interrupted.

I need to be interrupted when my words to my kids start to shift from mama to crazy lady.

I need to be interrupted when my brain thinks of a cutting remark that will surely prove my point and leave my husband speechless.

I need to be interrupted when I'm out with friends and a juicy tidbit of gossip sneaks into our conversation.

I need to be interrupted when my attitude turns sour about the things I have to do today.

I need to be interrupted when I think I'm right and that other person is wrong.

I need to be interrupted when I'm talking too much about myself and haven't even considered what my friend might be going through.

Yes, I desperately need to be interrupted today.

So, we've been going through this series on "Studying the Bible and Loving It." If you've missed some of this series you can catch up here to learn about the attitude of asking we should bring first thing. Then you can click here to hear about having a heart of willingness.

Then yesterday we talked about some questions to ask as we read Philippians chapter one. Which by the way if you missed the comments from yesterday, take a minute or two to scan them. You girls are smart and insightful! I treasure reading your comments and learning from you.

During this whole process I haven't wanted to make this just one more thing that makes us good Bible study girls who read God's word because we're supposed to but then find ourselves frustrated or cussing in our mind at inconveniences in our day.

Do you find that 'cussing in our mind' comment offensive? Me too. But I'm compelled to write it not because I think too many of us have really bad words flashing through our brain but rather really bad attitudes that are just as damaging.

Good Bible study girls keep bad words and bad attitudes hidden... but they are there. Becoming more than a good Bible study girl means we don't stuff those things- we deal with them. We deal with them by looking to God's words not only for instruction but also for interruption.

E-mail a friend a link to this blog and discuss it. There is something great that happens when friends start talking about being interrupted by God's words.

What do you think it means to be interrupted by God's words?

How might we be not just instructed but truly interrupted by God's word today?

Read Philippians chapter 2 (in my Bible it's on pages 2147- 2150).

What words from this chapter interrupt you today?