Can I just share a little situation before we get into the heart of what we're talking about today? Thank you.
My daughter, Ashley, likes to share my bathroom sink with me. When I was young, I can remember thinking the spot where my mom got ready in the mornings was magical. I'm not sure Ashley thinks my getting ready spot is magical but never the less, she likes it there.
Well, the other day she was in a rush and got her makeup mixed up with mine.
Of course, I was in a rush as well and was not tuned in to this fact.
But I was tuned in to the fact that every time I caught a glimpse of myself in any mirror throughout that day I looked sickly. Something was wrong with the area around my eyes but I couldn't figure out what. I just didn't look right.
Well, heavens.
Y'all.
I have now figured it out.
Her purple eyeliner is a green pencil with a dark lid. The same as my eyebrow pencil.
Yes. I had colored my eyebrows purple.
And never figured out why I looked so strange.
What is wrong with me? Don't answer that. Let's just move on.
This week has been a tough week. Full of the fear of betrayal. Full of the realization people live that fear everyday.
But the verse I posted yesterday clearly states in 2 Timothy 1:7 that God didn't give us a spirit of fear but of power, love, and a sound mind.
So, how do I practically grab hold of that verse- that truth- that reality when my mind is consumed with feelings of fear?
How do I hold on to that power when I feel so powerless? How do I quiet my heart of raging turmoil enough to let the love of God seep in? And what if I feel that my mind is anything but sound?
There is a lot I don't know in this world.
But one thing I do know, no matter who we are, no matter what situation we are in, no matter if we are the betrayer or the one fearing betrayal, no matter if we are a little girl terrified from the absence of her Daddy, or a grown woman fearing history will repeat itself- there is power in the simple utterance of God's name.
God.
Saying His name in the midst of fear, startles the demons of fear.
Now build on that with praise.
Praise God for who He is- all powerful and all capable. Praise God for being able to see and know things when we feel in the dark. Praise God for being able to give us a wisdom beyond our capabilities. A comfort beyond our reach. A security beyond our circumstance. A love not dependant on another person.
Psalm 22:3 (KJV) says, "God inhabits the praises of His people."
Praising His name will bring God's greatest invasion into even the darkest of moments.
And with His presence comes His character. He is love. He is peace. He is kindness. He is joy. He is life. He is truth. He is security. He is faithfulness.
I realize at the root of my fear is this nagging sensation that somehow I can only get those things from people.
In reality, always being dependent on others for these things allows fear to keep a grip on me.
God never intended for me to look at others and demand they give me love, joy, security, and kindness.
Rather I can look at others and see that because of God in me, I have the beautiful opportunity to give love, joy, security, and kindness.
And when I give these things, my life is full no matter what choices others make around me.
God.
He inhabits me.
He enables me.
And His perfect love drives out fear (1 John 4:18).
Not bad for a girl with purple eyebrows, hunh?
My daughter, Ashley, likes to share my bathroom sink with me. When I was young, I can remember thinking the spot where my mom got ready in the mornings was magical. I'm not sure Ashley thinks my getting ready spot is magical but never the less, she likes it there.
Well, the other day she was in a rush and got her makeup mixed up with mine.
Of course, I was in a rush as well and was not tuned in to this fact.
But I was tuned in to the fact that every time I caught a glimpse of myself in any mirror throughout that day I looked sickly. Something was wrong with the area around my eyes but I couldn't figure out what. I just didn't look right.
Well, heavens.
Y'all.
I have now figured it out.
Her purple eyeliner is a green pencil with a dark lid. The same as my eyebrow pencil.
Yes. I had colored my eyebrows purple.
And never figured out why I looked so strange.
What is wrong with me? Don't answer that. Let's just move on.
This week has been a tough week. Full of the fear of betrayal. Full of the realization people live that fear everyday.
But the verse I posted yesterday clearly states in 2 Timothy 1:7 that God didn't give us a spirit of fear but of power, love, and a sound mind.
So, how do I practically grab hold of that verse- that truth- that reality when my mind is consumed with feelings of fear?
How do I hold on to that power when I feel so powerless? How do I quiet my heart of raging turmoil enough to let the love of God seep in? And what if I feel that my mind is anything but sound?
There is a lot I don't know in this world.
But one thing I do know, no matter who we are, no matter what situation we are in, no matter if we are the betrayer or the one fearing betrayal, no matter if we are a little girl terrified from the absence of her Daddy, or a grown woman fearing history will repeat itself- there is power in the simple utterance of God's name.
God.
Saying His name in the midst of fear, startles the demons of fear.
Now build on that with praise.
Praise God for who He is- all powerful and all capable. Praise God for being able to see and know things when we feel in the dark. Praise God for being able to give us a wisdom beyond our capabilities. A comfort beyond our reach. A security beyond our circumstance. A love not dependant on another person.
Psalm 22:3 (KJV) says, "God inhabits the praises of His people."
Praising His name will bring God's greatest invasion into even the darkest of moments.
And with His presence comes His character. He is love. He is peace. He is kindness. He is joy. He is life. He is truth. He is security. He is faithfulness.
I realize at the root of my fear is this nagging sensation that somehow I can only get those things from people.
In reality, always being dependent on others for these things allows fear to keep a grip on me.
God never intended for me to look at others and demand they give me love, joy, security, and kindness.
Rather I can look at others and see that because of God in me, I have the beautiful opportunity to give love, joy, security, and kindness.
And when I give these things, my life is full no matter what choices others make around me.
God.
He inhabits me.
He enables me.
And His perfect love drives out fear (1 John 4:18).
Not bad for a girl with purple eyebrows, hunh?

Home