home about schedule topics books story contact
I'll Start Again on Monday
This was my life last January 4th and so many January 4th's before it.

I rolled over and looked at the clock. Another day.

Beyond all reason and rationality I slid out of bed and striped everything off my body that might weigh even the slightest ounce and headed to the scale. Maybe today will be the day, the scale will be my friend, and not reveal my secrets. Maybe somehow overnight the molecular structure of my body shifted and I would magically weigh less.

But no. I yanked my ponytail out and decided to try again. No, she didn’t change her mind the second time I stepped on her. The scale would not be my friend today.

Vowing to do better, eat healthier, and make good choices today I headed to the kitchen only to have my resolve melt like the icing on the cinnamon rolls my daughter just pulled from the oven. Yum. Oh who cares what the scale says when this roll speaks such love and deliciousness.

Two and a half cinnamon rolls later, I decide tomorrow will be a much better day to keep my promises to eat healthier. And since this is my last day to eat what I want, I better live it up. Another cinnamon roll please.

The next morning I rolled over and looked at the clock. Another day. Beyond all reason and rationality I slid out of bed and stripped everything off my body that might weigh even the slightest ounce and headed to the scale. Maybe today will be the day. But once again it wasn’t

I even yanked my ponytail holder out and tried again. But no.

Vowing to do better, eat healthier, and make good choices I headed into my day only to find myself making more excuses, justifications and promises for later.

Always later.

And the cycle I’d come to hate and felt powerless to stop, continued.

Have you ever been there?

Are you stuck in a similar place now?

I want to hear your thoughts, your struggles, your questions, your frustration, and maybe for some of you- your victories.

I'm working on a book I never thought I'd write, "When a Chips and Chocolate Girl Gets Healthy."

Is it legal for a girl who has never craved a carrot stick in her life to write about this?

Anyhow, it's not a how to get healthy book. One look at a bookstore in January and you'll know there are plenty of "how to" books stocked right now.

And the authors of those books have cravings for carrot sticks. And have abs of steal. And buns that have never sagged or jiggled or tried to hang out of the top of their jeans.

I, on the other hand, know what less athletic women crave. And I know the words muffin top and cellulite quite well. Muffin tops and cellulite with stretch marks, thank you very much and have a nice day.

And I also know what it's like to cry and feel powerless in this battle to get healthy. I want to lead Jesus girls on journey that will help them find the 'stick to it-ness' and deep 'want to' that extends far beyond the surface issues of weighing less and wanting to wear a smaller clothes size.

There's a spiritual battle going on. It's real. And it's amazing how perfectly the Bible gives us specific ways to find victory with our food struggles.

Even for girls who don't crave carrots.

I can't wait to read your thoughts and questions. And just as a thank you... anyone posting a comment today will be registered to win my latest book on CD. That's right! "Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl" read by moi---is available. And I'm giving away 3 sets!!!

If you want the thoughts and questions you post to be anonymous today, feel free to post a second comment with your e-mail address in it in case you win.

To leave a comment, scroll down to the words "post a comment" below, click and follow the prompts.

ps. Lisa Whittle is sharing some thoughts on starting 2010 off right over at She Seeks today. I'd love for you to pop over and visit with her as well.