home about schedule topics books story contact
Simplest of Gestures
Today is a Holly Day... But before you read what Holly wrote I want us to think about what holds us back from giving?

I know for me sometimes I just get wrapped up in my own little world and don't think about those around me. Or, I'm busy and don't want to take the time to reach out to another. Or, I feel like it will cost me too much. Whatever the case, I can be a master of excuses.

But the strange thing is, I know how wonderful it feels to step outside my excuses and be a blessing to someone else... I wonder why I don't do it more often?

Something worth pondering I think... Now, here's Holly:

This past Monday Lysa and I were flying to TX for a speaking event. We sat on the plane with a young man from PA.

We found ourselves engaged in a great conversation about faith. He was intrigued with Lysa and the books she has written. He commented he was going to go home and order several of them for his sister.


After a while, Lysa started to do some work on her laptop. Meanwhile I continued to converse with him.


We had a lot in common.


We talked about the challenges of every day life.
We talked about the Bible.
We talked about looking for God in daily situations.
We talked about the importance of keeping our focus on Him.


Then I showed him the book I was reading - 'Silent Savior: Daring to Believe He's Still There' by A.J. Gregory. I pointed out some of the sections and quotes that I had underlined. (It's a great read.)


He again seemed very interested and wrote down the name of the book and commented that he was going to go home and order that too.

Shortly thereafter, Lysa asked me to read an article she had created on her laptop. At the very end of it she typed: 'Holly, I think you should give him your book. I will buy you another one.'


I looked at her and smiled. Giggled actually.


In that moment I was intrigued, excited, nervous...

But mostly humbled.


Lord, may I proactively seek to serve You.
May others see You in me today.
May I seek to find You in the simplest of situations.
May I seek to align my heart with You.
And may I never hesitate to think of ways to give.


As we exited the plane I gladly handed our new friend my book. He was thrilled at this simplest of gestures.


It was easy. I was humbled. We were both blessed.