home about schedule topics books story contact
When all else is stripped away
Last night I received an e-mail from a friend whose mom has an advanced stage of cancer.

There really aren't any words to describe the pain that seeped through the words in her e-mail. It broke my heart.

If you are here today from reading my devotion on Women Judging Women, welcome. If you are a regular blog reader, you might remember this post from a couple of weeks ago.

I wrote the post on women judging women because I think it's a problem that causes such unnecessary and senseless hurt. And really, isn't there enough hurt in this world without turning on each other and causing more?

We women need each other.

We were made to love, encourage, support, and befriend one another.

Which is why it is doubly painful when women do the exact opposite to one another. All for what? The cheap thrill of a piece of gossip? Making ourselves feel a little superior when tearing down someone else? Proving that our way of doing something really is the right way?

Oh sweet sister- don't pull back from these words.

In sometimes subtle and not so subtle ways, we can all find ourselves getting pulled into judging. I'm preaching to myself here as well. And this message seems even more urgent in the light of my friend's e-mail.

So, this is what I wrote back:

I wish I was sitting right beside you tonight--- holding your hand and reading Scriptures of hope and promise together.

If I were you, I would get some 3x5 cards and write down every verse you can find about God's love for your mom. Insert her name into the verses and encourage her to fill her mind with God's truth.

The more truth of His love that's in her heart and mind, the more she'll be protected from fear and doubt.

You are so loved by so many. And any time you get scared, close your eyes and see your band of sisters right there with you.

This world has plenty of things that can make a sister afraid. And that's what we should all see when we get scared- a band of trustworthy sisters right there with us.

So why not be the kind of person whose face is one of the first a friend sees when she closes her eyes in a time like this. The more we are this kind of friend, the more of these kinds of friends we'll attract.

And when all else is stripped away- it's our friendships that breathe life- reminders of truth- hope- and real help- back into our world.

Will you join me in making a commitment to stop judging and start loving each other more fully? If so, write your commitment in the comment section below.