I was very touched today by reading a blog about how my book,"What Happens When Women Say Yes to God", inspired someone. It once again reminded me of the power of a pause. In our fast paced world, pausing is not easy. It can be hard to remember to do. It can be inconvenient. It can require more than our overflowing schedules will allow . But it can also be the very thing that God wants us to do the most.
Pausing allows us to catch our breath and take note of what is right in front of us. A child's joy over some accomplishment. A quickly fading sunset. A cloud in the shape of an elephant. A beautifully crafted flower. A friend in need of encouragement. Or, as my friend's blog told about, an elderly man who had probably not been noticed by anyone in quite a while.
Here's the note I wrote to her after reading about her story. I pray we all take more time to simply...
Dear Beth,
I am so very touched by your obedience story. And, even more importantly, I'm sure God is as well. Remember, our job is obedience... God's job is outcome. I suspect God asking you to help this man had less to do with him needing physical help and more to do with this man simply needing someone to pause and notice him.
There is such power in pausing.
What if that man had prayed and asked the Lord yesterday to please have one person during his day acknowledge him in some way... and out of all the world, God picked you. Not because the job was particularly difficult or that you would even accomplish it with absolute finesse... but you were chosen for one glorious reason. God knew your heart was in a place to simply say yes. And that my friend is awesome.
If you would like to read Beth's story for yourself go to: http://www.elizabethingersoll.blogspot.com/.
And on this beautiful day of celebrating our country I think taking a pause to thank God for where we live and ask for the protection of those that are fighting for our freedom is especially appropriate. I'm off to do just that.
Pausing allows us to catch our breath and take note of what is right in front of us. A child's joy over some accomplishment. A quickly fading sunset. A cloud in the shape of an elephant. A beautifully crafted flower. A friend in need of encouragement. Or, as my friend's blog told about, an elderly man who had probably not been noticed by anyone in quite a while.
She paused.
She noticed. She listened. She obeyed. She spoke. She helped.
She encouraged.
She experienced God.
Here's the note I wrote to her after reading about her story. I pray we all take more time to simply...
pause.
Dear Beth,
I am so very touched by your obedience story. And, even more importantly, I'm sure God is as well. Remember, our job is obedience... God's job is outcome. I suspect God asking you to help this man had less to do with him needing physical help and more to do with this man simply needing someone to pause and notice him.
There is such power in pausing.
What if that man had prayed and asked the Lord yesterday to please have one person during his day acknowledge him in some way... and out of all the world, God picked you. Not because the job was particularly difficult or that you would even accomplish it with absolute finesse... but you were chosen for one glorious reason. God knew your heart was in a place to simply say yes. And that my friend is awesome.
If you would like to read Beth's story for yourself go to: http://www.elizabethingersoll.blogspot.com/.
And on this beautiful day of celebrating our country I think taking a pause to thank God for where we live and ask for the protection of those that are fighting for our freedom is especially appropriate. I'm off to do just that.

Home