Today in Africa there is a beautiful young girl who feels painfully torn. Her soul is happy but her heart is homesick.
So, there's a mama who knew it was time for an e-mail with more than surface updates from home.
It was time for one of "those" talks. And while there may be some eye rolling happening right now in Africa, there is a mama who just realized living almost 40 years has it's advantages. So we trade our youth for perspectives that can only be bought with time...
...Sweetheart, I know it is hard to be away from your family, home and comfort zone. So, each time you get that feeling, specifically ask God to help you- comfort you- and fill in those painful gaps in your heart.
I see this as one of the most crucial spiritual lessons you can learn while in Africa.
There will be many times in life when you feel the pains of lack. These can be a gift if only you look at that feeling of lack in the right way. I bet you've been tempted today to think, "If only I was home right now, my life would be wonderful." But that's not true.
If you are sad in Africa, you would be sad here too.
External comforts won't ever produce lasting internal joy.
When you feel that tug between what you want and what you have, use it as a sacrifice of praise to God. Pray...
"God, I lift up my sadness, I lift up my homesickness, I lift up what I lack right now and I give it to you. I praise you that you can turn my sadness into joy, my homesickness into security, and my lack into fullness right now. I ask that you, God, fill that space between what I feel and what I know you can provide. The pain my lack causes me will be a personal sacrifice I can give you. A gift from my heart to yours. A gift that says, I need you God and that is a great place to be."
Trust me Hope, you will probably be praying this same prayer the rest of your life. And to be honest, I hope you do.
Not that I want lack in your life but I do pray that God be your constant companion, your sure foundation and the greatest desire of your heart. You can't gain this without experiencing times where life is lacking.
In your teen years you may feel the lack of love and companionship. You may think, "If only I had a boyfriend, my life would be wonderful." But that's not true.
In your early twenties you may think, "If only I had more material possessions like a better car and a bigger house, my life would be wonderful." But that's not true.
Later in your life you may think, "If only I had a more fulfilling job, a more fulfilling marriage, a more fulfilling purpose, my life would be wonderful." But that's not true.
Having a boyfriend, material possessions, a great job, a loving husband, and knowing your purpose are all wonderful things. But none of these things can be perfectly constant. And none of these can be a sure foundation. Therefore, none of these should be our greatest desire.
Only God can and should hold that place in our heart. God is the only perfect fit for the shape of our lack.
“Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise – the fruit of lips that confess His name," Hebrews 13:15.
So, there's a mama who knew it was time for an e-mail with more than surface updates from home.
It was time for one of "those" talks. And while there may be some eye rolling happening right now in Africa, there is a mama who just realized living almost 40 years has it's advantages. So we trade our youth for perspectives that can only be bought with time...
...Sweetheart, I know it is hard to be away from your family, home and comfort zone. So, each time you get that feeling, specifically ask God to help you- comfort you- and fill in those painful gaps in your heart.
I see this as one of the most crucial spiritual lessons you can learn while in Africa.
There will be many times in life when you feel the pains of lack. These can be a gift if only you look at that feeling of lack in the right way. I bet you've been tempted today to think, "If only I was home right now, my life would be wonderful." But that's not true.
If you are sad in Africa, you would be sad here too.
External comforts won't ever produce lasting internal joy.
When you feel that tug between what you want and what you have, use it as a sacrifice of praise to God. Pray...
"God, I lift up my sadness, I lift up my homesickness, I lift up what I lack right now and I give it to you. I praise you that you can turn my sadness into joy, my homesickness into security, and my lack into fullness right now. I ask that you, God, fill that space between what I feel and what I know you can provide. The pain my lack causes me will be a personal sacrifice I can give you. A gift from my heart to yours. A gift that says, I need you God and that is a great place to be."
Trust me Hope, you will probably be praying this same prayer the rest of your life. And to be honest, I hope you do.
Not that I want lack in your life but I do pray that God be your constant companion, your sure foundation and the greatest desire of your heart. You can't gain this without experiencing times where life is lacking.
In your teen years you may feel the lack of love and companionship. You may think, "If only I had a boyfriend, my life would be wonderful." But that's not true.
In your early twenties you may think, "If only I had more material possessions like a better car and a bigger house, my life would be wonderful." But that's not true.
Later in your life you may think, "If only I had a more fulfilling job, a more fulfilling marriage, a more fulfilling purpose, my life would be wonderful." But that's not true.
Having a boyfriend, material possessions, a great job, a loving husband, and knowing your purpose are all wonderful things. But none of these things can be perfectly constant. And none of these can be a sure foundation. Therefore, none of these should be our greatest desire.
Only God can and should hold that place in our heart. God is the only perfect fit for the shape of our lack.
“Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise – the fruit of lips that confess His name," Hebrews 13:15.
Home