home about schedule topics books story contact
Divine Whispers in the Midst of Unruly Eyebrows
I am convinced within each new day, there hides a gift of possible connection. An interaction with someone else that will seem quite random- but in reality is not happen chance at all.

It’s divine.

If we’ll make the choice to unwrap this gift and really listen to those we come in contact with, we’ll hear whispers from God. These are invitations to hear what people need and connect that need with your love of Jesus.

It happened to me the other day when talking with the lady waxing my unruly eyebrows. You know, the ones I make a habit to pluck in the carpool line whilst entertaining all the other moms? Yes, those.

Anyhow, I was having some plucking issues and decided it was time to call in the expert at my local Lovely Nails and Tan.

That’s where I met Emily.

A precious woman who I once feared was making fun of my lack of plucking professionalism when she spoke in a language much more exotic than English. But, somewhere over the wax and in between broken lines of communication, we bonded over the shirt I was wearing.

She love it. She love it much. She love it much in blue.

I told her I got the shirt at Steinmart and attempted to move our conversation back to my need to better understand the ancient Chinese secrets of eyebrow shaping.

But Emily would have nothing of my eyebrows inquisition. She wanted to tell me about how hard it is to have small children and take them shopping. She has wanted to go to the Steinmart store I’ve referred to many times. But for one reason or another, it just never worked out.

Plus, it’s not really in their budget for her to get new clothes when the kids have so many needs.

It would have been so easy for me to just listen, agree that taking kids shopping is hard, and make a comment or two about the difficulties this economy is having on a lot of household budgets.

But my love of Jesus could not skip past her need.

It’s not that she really needs a shirt like mine. However, she does need my Jesus. And if me going to get her a blue shirt helps make a connection that eventually leads to me to earn the right to tell her about my Jesus- then why not.

Interestingly enough, when I got to Steinmart they only had one shirt left in Emily’s size. And though the shirt came in four different colors, the small one was the exact blue sweet Emily wanted.

I can’t wait to take this shirt to her tomorrow. And I can’t wait to see what God does with this. Maybe I’ll give her the shirt and that will be that.

Or maybe, I’ll give her the shirt and one day get to see all of eternity shift in her life.

What a thrill it is to listen for God’s amazing divine whispers.