Last week we were getting into some good discussions about the weight loss thing when everything got interrupted. So, I thought I'd jump back into some of your questions about my weight loss journey.
First, let me address the question about this being a vain, worldly pursuit. It's an honest question and one I did ask myself. Was I trying to lose weight for vain reasons? I won't lie, it feels great to put on my pants without having to lay on the floor, hold my breath, and hope the zipper doesn't bust once it finally goes up.
But my issues with my expanding body paled in comparison to the issue of my deflated spirit. I was letting my issues with food have a power over me they were never supposed to have. So, after praying about this, I realized this was a spiritual battle I needed to fight.
And in doing so, it became a spiritual journey with great physical benefits.
Several of you asked another very honest and understandable question. How did I lose the weight? What was my plan?
The practical answer is I made the choice to only eat meat, vegetables, some nuts and fruit in this season of learning to bring my diet under the Lord’s control.
If I wasn't supposed to have it, I didn't put it in my mouth.
But, let me tell you, it was hard at times.
Really hard.
As a matter of fact, just the other night I faced one of my fiercest battles.
I had a busy day and decided to grab take-out on my home. I ordered grilled fish and steamed broccoli. Pleased with my choice and my self-discipline, I walked into the take out area of one of my favorite restaurants. That’s when the assault started.
A giant poster of the best chips and salsa you've ever seen was hanging over the take-out register. The girl behind the counter was trying to ask if I needed plastic ware and was my order correct.
Inside my brain a weak willed woman started screaming, “No, my order is not correct. I need chips. Lots and lots of those chips. I need that salt. I want that crunch. With every fiber in my being I want to shove this fish and broccoli back across the counter and demand, “CHIPS!”
It was like those chips were dancing in front of me and singing that 80's tune, "Don't you want me baby... don' t you want me, ohhhhhhhhhh ohhhh oh oh."
I wanted to start reciting that old script in my head that would justify me right into a chips frenzy. “You've had such a hard day. You've been good for so long. Who would ever know. And if no one else knows the calories really don’t count right? Plus, it’s just one order of chips and salsa. Everything else you ordered is so healthy. One order of chips can’t possibly be that bad right. Just do it this time and then be good for the next couple of days.”
I wanted to play that script. I wanted the chips. But something else was tugging at my mind. Truth.
I had been storing up truth in my brain and suddenly it sprung forward and started doing battle with the old script trying to lead me astray.
I could feel the battle. Literally, as I stood there taking way too long to answer the girl about whether or not I needed a plastic fork, truth and lies were battling for my attention. That’s when it occurred to me. I held the power to determine who would win.
I held the power.
Not the chips.
My hollow stare suddenly became a laser focused look of determination. “Yes, I do need a fork with this fish and broccoli.” I can picture the girl rolling her eyes as she bent down to get my fork wondering what kind of fruit loop has to think about whether or not she needs a fork for such an inappropriate amount of time.
But I wasn't focused on her or her quizzical expression. Instead, I forced myself to think about one of my power verses. “They gave into their craving and put God to the test.” In my mind I repeated it over and over until me and my healthy dinner were far away from the demon disguised as a chips and salsa poster.
By the time I got home, and filled myself with the healthy fish and steamed broccoli, I realized I had no desire for chips and salsa. None. I was satisfied with my healthy choices. So, what was the difference?
Let’s look back at Psalm 106:14 which says, “In the desert they gave in to their craving; in the wasteland they put God to the test.” The desert is a place of deprivation. When in a deprived state we are much more likely to give into things we shouldn't have.
I was really hungry when I walked into that restaurant which made those chips and salsa look even better than usual. I was in a weakened state and faced with something that could instantly and easily fill me. That’s what I call a danger zone.
Inside a danger zone the lies and justifications of the enemy sing so sweetly like the siren’s song that used to lure the ships toward the dashing rocks in Greek Mythology. Alluring songs coupled with salivating taste buds specifically arranged by the enemy for my destruction.
Without sounding dramatic, this is the exact point in which I must start reciting truth, pack up my fish and broccoli, and flee. Flee I tell you. Literally and deliberately flee.
I had to stop thinking about what I shouldn't have and park my mind on thoughts of being thankful for what I could have. In doing so, I tapped into the power given to me by Jesus. I won’t lie. It’s not easy. But it is absolutely possible.
I've lost nearly 30 pounds. Me. The girl who begged God to send a magic fat burning pill down from heaven because I just could not find the will power to fight this battle on my own.
Y'all... I prayed for a fat burning pill. No, I take that back. I begged for a fat burning pill. With tears in my eyes.
Not my finest godly girl moment.
But this battle is hard. Really hard. So I just want to encourage those of you fighting it today.
Victory is possible sisters... not by figuring out how to make this an easy process. But rather by choosing the absolute power available through God's truth over and over and over and over again.
What do you think? Share with me your insights, frustrations, victories and failures. I want to hear your honest thoughts as I am working on my book all about this.
It breaks my heart that so many of God's girls feel powerless in this struggle. So, let's band together, get honest, grab hold of the truth that will set us free and do something about it.
First, let me address the question about this being a vain, worldly pursuit. It's an honest question and one I did ask myself. Was I trying to lose weight for vain reasons? I won't lie, it feels great to put on my pants without having to lay on the floor, hold my breath, and hope the zipper doesn't bust once it finally goes up.
But my issues with my expanding body paled in comparison to the issue of my deflated spirit. I was letting my issues with food have a power over me they were never supposed to have. So, after praying about this, I realized this was a spiritual battle I needed to fight.
And in doing so, it became a spiritual journey with great physical benefits.
Several of you asked another very honest and understandable question. How did I lose the weight? What was my plan?
The practical answer is I made the choice to only eat meat, vegetables, some nuts and fruit in this season of learning to bring my diet under the Lord’s control.
If I wasn't supposed to have it, I didn't put it in my mouth.
But, let me tell you, it was hard at times.
Really hard.
As a matter of fact, just the other night I faced one of my fiercest battles.
I had a busy day and decided to grab take-out on my home. I ordered grilled fish and steamed broccoli. Pleased with my choice and my self-discipline, I walked into the take out area of one of my favorite restaurants. That’s when the assault started.
A giant poster of the best chips and salsa you've ever seen was hanging over the take-out register. The girl behind the counter was trying to ask if I needed plastic ware and was my order correct.
Inside my brain a weak willed woman started screaming, “No, my order is not correct. I need chips. Lots and lots of those chips. I need that salt. I want that crunch. With every fiber in my being I want to shove this fish and broccoli back across the counter and demand, “CHIPS!”
It was like those chips were dancing in front of me and singing that 80's tune, "Don't you want me baby... don' t you want me, ohhhhhhhhhh ohhhh oh oh."
I wanted to start reciting that old script in my head that would justify me right into a chips frenzy. “You've had such a hard day. You've been good for so long. Who would ever know. And if no one else knows the calories really don’t count right? Plus, it’s just one order of chips and salsa. Everything else you ordered is so healthy. One order of chips can’t possibly be that bad right. Just do it this time and then be good for the next couple of days.”
I wanted to play that script. I wanted the chips. But something else was tugging at my mind. Truth.
I had been storing up truth in my brain and suddenly it sprung forward and started doing battle with the old script trying to lead me astray.
I could feel the battle. Literally, as I stood there taking way too long to answer the girl about whether or not I needed a plastic fork, truth and lies were battling for my attention. That’s when it occurred to me. I held the power to determine who would win.
I held the power.
Not the chips.
My hollow stare suddenly became a laser focused look of determination. “Yes, I do need a fork with this fish and broccoli.” I can picture the girl rolling her eyes as she bent down to get my fork wondering what kind of fruit loop has to think about whether or not she needs a fork for such an inappropriate amount of time.
But I wasn't focused on her or her quizzical expression. Instead, I forced myself to think about one of my power verses. “They gave into their craving and put God to the test.” In my mind I repeated it over and over until me and my healthy dinner were far away from the demon disguised as a chips and salsa poster.
By the time I got home, and filled myself with the healthy fish and steamed broccoli, I realized I had no desire for chips and salsa. None. I was satisfied with my healthy choices. So, what was the difference?
Let’s look back at Psalm 106:14 which says, “In the desert they gave in to their craving; in the wasteland they put God to the test.” The desert is a place of deprivation. When in a deprived state we are much more likely to give into things we shouldn't have.
I was really hungry when I walked into that restaurant which made those chips and salsa look even better than usual. I was in a weakened state and faced with something that could instantly and easily fill me. That’s what I call a danger zone.
Inside a danger zone the lies and justifications of the enemy sing so sweetly like the siren’s song that used to lure the ships toward the dashing rocks in Greek Mythology. Alluring songs coupled with salivating taste buds specifically arranged by the enemy for my destruction.
Without sounding dramatic, this is the exact point in which I must start reciting truth, pack up my fish and broccoli, and flee. Flee I tell you. Literally and deliberately flee.
I had to stop thinking about what I shouldn't have and park my mind on thoughts of being thankful for what I could have. In doing so, I tapped into the power given to me by Jesus. I won’t lie. It’s not easy. But it is absolutely possible.
I've lost nearly 30 pounds. Me. The girl who begged God to send a magic fat burning pill down from heaven because I just could not find the will power to fight this battle on my own.
Y'all... I prayed for a fat burning pill. No, I take that back. I begged for a fat burning pill. With tears in my eyes.
Not my finest godly girl moment.
But this battle is hard. Really hard. So I just want to encourage those of you fighting it today.
Victory is possible sisters... not by figuring out how to make this an easy process. But rather by choosing the absolute power available through God's truth over and over and over and over again.
What do you think? Share with me your insights, frustrations, victories and failures. I want to hear your honest thoughts as I am working on my book all about this.
It breaks my heart that so many of God's girls feel powerless in this struggle. So, let's band together, get honest, grab hold of the truth that will set us free and do something about it.
Home