Thirteen years ago I was the marketing director for a new start up venture called Proverbs 31 Ministries.
Now let me define that title. It basically meant, out of the couple of moms that get together to send out a little Xerox copied newsletter to a handful of constituents, you are the dreamer.
We had no office. No staff. No funding. We held our planning meetings at the McDonald's indoor playground. What little we accomplished at those meetings was done between cleaning up spilled drinks, wiping snotty noses and changing diapers.
I was knee deep in toddler-hood. With a 2 year old determined to take her diaper off in public places and another baby who'd spent the first year of her life in the hospital, life was crazy busy. Proverbs 31 was this little thing I did to get together with other moms and get tips on keeping my sanity.
I was not the epitome of a godly woman during those years.
As a matter of fact, I'd been with the ministry for several months before I even read Proverbs chapter 31. And when I did read it, I didn't think I belonged with this group much less had anything to contribute. But, I liked hanging out with my P31 friends because I gleaned from them a vision of how to love God and be the kind of wife and mom I'd always wanted to be.
Despite my propensity to never be able to stick with anything for very long, I stuck with this little ministry. When many of my McDonald's meeting friends moved on to other endeavors, I wondered how God could leave this thing in my hands. I was the last person in the world that should head up a ministry called Proverbs 31.
But, despite my great inadequacies, God kept the ministry going. He brought other people to walk beside me. Some for certain seasons of the ministry. Others in more permanent ways.
Eventually, I dared to have dreams for Proverbs 31.
Dreams that God would somehow use our little fledgling ministry to make a real difference in women's lives. Dreams that we would one day have an office. Dreams that we would one day have a copy machine. I mean nothing says "official ministry" like a copy machine, right?
One of the biggest dreams I had for Proverbs 31 was to do conferences in different cities around the country. But despite all the many ways Proverbs 31 seemed to be growing, this conference dream just never quite got off the ground.
I'll be honest part of it was a healthy dose of fear. Conferences are expensive. Really expensive. And there is this little stress called, "if you have it, will they come?" After all, it's really no fun at all to plan a big event, spend lots of money, and have no one show up.
It was really a timing thing. Waiting for God to open just the right doors, bring together just the right team, and find just the right city.
So, when KSBJ called a couple of years ago and started talking with us about the possibility of bringing a P31 event to Houston, I was cautiously excited. Could this be it?
Many meetings, phone calls, dreaming sessions, and one last minute trip to Target in the snow yesterday- later--- this is it.
As I rolled out of my bed this morning, part of me wanted to tuck my heart and my dreams back under my husband's arm where they are safe no matter how things turn out. But another part of my heart was ready to jump into this great unknown, hop on a plane to Houston, and boldly tell 4,000 women just how great our God is.
Well, that little toddler---who has been there from the beginning---who wouldn't keep her diaper on---who turned into the most amazing young lady---has her suitcase packed and won't let me crawl back in bed.
So, here we go.
And as I run out the door, I feel compelled to encourage you. No matter your age, stage of life, or phase of circumstances you find yourself in, don't forget to dare to dream with God. You don't have to figure anything out. Just keep saying yes to Him, in big ways and small, and watch what He does.
And one last thing. What city do you live in? I've always wanted to do some sort of bloggy friend city roll call.
As we dream about where to go next with this Proverbs 31 conference thing, I'd love to know where you are. So, leave a comment below with your city, state, and name of your local Christian radio station. Thanks!
Sweet blessings dear friends~
Now let me define that title. It basically meant, out of the couple of moms that get together to send out a little Xerox copied newsletter to a handful of constituents, you are the dreamer.
We had no office. No staff. No funding. We held our planning meetings at the McDonald's indoor playground. What little we accomplished at those meetings was done between cleaning up spilled drinks, wiping snotty noses and changing diapers.
I was knee deep in toddler-hood. With a 2 year old determined to take her diaper off in public places and another baby who'd spent the first year of her life in the hospital, life was crazy busy. Proverbs 31 was this little thing I did to get together with other moms and get tips on keeping my sanity.
I was not the epitome of a godly woman during those years.
As a matter of fact, I'd been with the ministry for several months before I even read Proverbs chapter 31. And when I did read it, I didn't think I belonged with this group much less had anything to contribute. But, I liked hanging out with my P31 friends because I gleaned from them a vision of how to love God and be the kind of wife and mom I'd always wanted to be.
Despite my propensity to never be able to stick with anything for very long, I stuck with this little ministry. When many of my McDonald's meeting friends moved on to other endeavors, I wondered how God could leave this thing in my hands. I was the last person in the world that should head up a ministry called Proverbs 31.
But, despite my great inadequacies, God kept the ministry going. He brought other people to walk beside me. Some for certain seasons of the ministry. Others in more permanent ways.
Eventually, I dared to have dreams for Proverbs 31.
Dreams that God would somehow use our little fledgling ministry to make a real difference in women's lives. Dreams that we would one day have an office. Dreams that we would one day have a copy machine. I mean nothing says "official ministry" like a copy machine, right?
One of the biggest dreams I had for Proverbs 31 was to do conferences in different cities around the country. But despite all the many ways Proverbs 31 seemed to be growing, this conference dream just never quite got off the ground.
I'll be honest part of it was a healthy dose of fear. Conferences are expensive. Really expensive. And there is this little stress called, "if you have it, will they come?" After all, it's really no fun at all to plan a big event, spend lots of money, and have no one show up.
It was really a timing thing. Waiting for God to open just the right doors, bring together just the right team, and find just the right city.
So, when KSBJ called a couple of years ago and started talking with us about the possibility of bringing a P31 event to Houston, I was cautiously excited. Could this be it?
Many meetings, phone calls, dreaming sessions, and one last minute trip to Target in the snow yesterday- later--- this is it.
As I rolled out of my bed this morning, part of me wanted to tuck my heart and my dreams back under my husband's arm where they are safe no matter how things turn out. But another part of my heart was ready to jump into this great unknown, hop on a plane to Houston, and boldly tell 4,000 women just how great our God is.
Well, that little toddler---who has been there from the beginning---who wouldn't keep her diaper on---who turned into the most amazing young lady---has her suitcase packed and won't let me crawl back in bed.
So, here we go.
And as I run out the door, I feel compelled to encourage you. No matter your age, stage of life, or phase of circumstances you find yourself in, don't forget to dare to dream with God. You don't have to figure anything out. Just keep saying yes to Him, in big ways and small, and watch what He does.
And one last thing. What city do you live in? I've always wanted to do some sort of bloggy friend city roll call.
As we dream about where to go next with this Proverbs 31 conference thing, I'd love to know where you are. So, leave a comment below with your city, state, and name of your local Christian radio station. Thanks!
Sweet blessings dear friends~
Home